Adrianne Picciano (the Dirt Diva) and I are hosting a two hour fund raising garden special on our local public radio station, WJFF serving the Catskills of New York State, North East Pennsylvania and the Upper Delaware River Valley. You can hear it locally on 90.5FM, 3.00-5.00pm EST and streaming live online across the country and around the world at WJFFRadio.org. WJFF is the only hyrdo-powered radio station in the country!
Along with out guests Master Gardener and local newspaper columnist Will Conway, Permaculture Expert Maria Grimaldi of Panther Rock Farms and orchid expert judywhite we’ll be answering emailed questions from listeners, taking pledges to help support WJFF – and giving away lots of garden goodies as “thank you gifts”.
This is, of course, a local event but here I’d just like to thank the various gardening companies and organisations who are supporting independent public radio – and good information about gardening – by donating “thank you gifts” to the station. I's a fine testament to these businesses and individuals that they're happy to make donations to a good cause in these difficult times. Thank you.
* Permaculture Design Certificate course (one place) hosted by Andrew Phillips of the Hancock Permaculture Center and Maria Grimaldi of Panther Rock Farms.
* Garden notecards donated by Echo Letterpress (see samples above) in Jeffersonville NY. Beautiful woodcut-style designs of garden tools, herbs, and Japanese pruners.* Bloom Again Orchids Signed copies of a colorful new book on easy orchids that bloom again and again donated by local judywhite.
* Green Up Time CD Locally based horticulturalist and Broadway performer Ellen Zachos combines her two passions in life with songs about plants.
* Gift memberships to the Hudson Valley Seed Library.plus art packs (left)
* Annuals and Perennials Book Bundle The Readers Digest Complete Guide to Perennials, Gardeners Guide to Growing Hellebores, Discovering Annuals, and Handbook of Annuals and Bedding Plants. All by Graham Rice, all signed by the author.
(We feature local nurseries in our spring special)
* $50 Gift Certificates to White Flower Farm, the country’s leading supplier of mail order perennials and shrubs.
* One year membership to the American Horticultural Society.
* Natural gardening book bundles: The Truth About Organic Gardening and Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants – donated by Timber Press
* Collections of vegetable seeds, specifically chosen for our area, donated by Thompson & Morgan
Thank you to all these supporters – and to our listeners who provide over half the funds required to run the station. It’s going to be a fun afternoon.
AFTER THE SHOW UPDATE We had a great show, answered lots of questions, raised a good amount for WJFF, and gave plenty of thank-you gifts away - in spite of the distraction of the first snowstorm of winter. Thanks to all our listeners and supporters.